Conditions of Hire
In these conditions:
“owner” means owner of the skip
“customer” means persons hiring the skip
“vehicle” means the vehicle which is delivering or collecting the skip which is the subject of the contract
“driver” means the driver of the vehicle
“the site” means the place where the skip is deposited on the directions of the customer.
The Owner enters into the agreements for the hire of skips and disposal of contents upon the following conditions:
1) No agent or employee of the Owner is permitted to alter or to vary these conditions in any way or to give any consent there under unless he is authorised in writing by the owner so to do.
2) The owner will use his best endeavors to comply with the customers' requirements but can accept no responsibility for failure to supply or for any delay in supplying or collecting skips which may be caused directly or indirectly by any circumstances beyond the Owner’s control or any unforeseen or abnormal conditions or by any act or neglect on the part of the customer.
3) Customer requesting or ordering vehicles delivering or collecting skips to leave the road shall reimburse Handy Skips in full in respect of any loss, costs, claims, damage or expenses we may thereby sustain whether it is a result of damage to the vehicle, to the skip or to the property of the customer or third party including damage to the road, margins and pavement.
4) The customer shall not move the skip from the site without consent of the Owner neither shall the skip be moved from its place of delivery.
5) The time allowed for depositing or picking up a skip is ten minutes, if the vehicle is kept waiting any longer than this after arrival at site the customer shall be liable for reasonable demurrage.
6) The customer shall also fully indemnify Handy Skips, in respect of any claim for injuries to persons or property arising out of the use of the skips whilst on hire to them howsoever the same may be caused to arise and in particular the customer undertakes:
(a) Not to place any tyres, fridges, electrical equipment, asbestos, oils, grease, paints, toxic waste or liquid cement/concrete in skips.
(b) To ensure skips are not filled above the level of the sides, no materials are left on the floor around where skip is placed.
(c) To pay all the extra expenses and costs including possibly a new container which may result from non-observance of the above.
7) Two clear working days notice is required to terminate the hire of the skip.
8) Unless specifically otherwise agreed in writing, the customer shall themselves provide marker cones by day and cones plus yellow lights on the container during the hours of darkness as required by the Highways Act 1980 if the same is placed on the Highway, or anywhere else where damage to property or injury to third parties is reasonably foreseeable.
9) The customer undertakes to fill the skip within the period of the license granted under the Highways Act, and to give Handy Skips such notice of its readiness for collection.
10) The customer must ensure the safe loading of the materials into the skip. Only materials placed safely in the skip will become the responsibility of Handy Skips on collection. Ownership of the contents of any skip shall only pass to Handy Skips upon receipt of full payment unless otherwise agreed.
11) In the event of the Highway Authority or the Police exercising their powers to, or to cause to, light, move or remove the skip during the period of hire, the customer acknowledges that he is responsible for all costs thereby incurred.
12) During the continuance of the hire period, the customer shall make good to the owner all loss of or any damage to the skips from whatever cause the same may arise, fair wear and tear excepted and shall also fully indemnify the Owner in respect of all claims by any person whatsoever for injury to person or property caused by or in connection with or arising out of the use of the skips and in respect of all costs and charges in connection therewith whether arising under statue or common law. In the event of loss of or damage to skips, hire charges shall be continued until settlement has been effected.
If you have any questions that are not answered below please contact us. At Handy Skips we pride ourselves on making the booking process as easy as possible. Our highly trained staff will guide you through all the sizes available to help you visualise exactly what you need for the job in hand.
When will my skip be collected or exchanged if needed?
Your skip will be collected once you have phoned the booking office and notified us that it has been finished with, unless you have requested a collection date when your booking was placed. If you require an exchange please try and give 24 hours’ notice.
How quickly can a skip be delivered?
Sometimes the same day but certainly the next day if you call before 2pm.
I have seen documentaries and information about “rogue” waste traders. How can I be sure you dispose of my waste responsibly?
Handy Skips have over 25 years’ experience in the waste industry, are fully licensed by the Environment Agency to deal with waste, and provide the appropriate documentation. This is regularly audited to ensure we are compliant with all current legislation. Copies of these documents are attached on this web site.
Is my waste Recycled?
At Handy Skips we endeavor to make sure that all of our skips are sent to our materials recycling facility and anything that can be recovered will be sent for recycling or recycled ourselves.
How high can I fill the skip?
Skips should only be filled to the height of the sides and slightly raised in the centre. Skips heightened with doors on the side or overfilled will not be removed and any wasted journey cost will be charged to the customer.
What does the price of hiring a skip include?
The price from Handy Skips includes delivery, collection, disposal and hire for up to 7 days. This can be extended by request (prices are normally quoted including VAT).
How do I pay for the skip?
Unless you are an account holder the skip would need to be paid for in advance or on delivery. We accept card payments.
What access do I need to provide?
As the vehicles delivering to your house are LGV’s and are normally very large, please make sure that there is sufficient access to allow it in/out safely. If you are unsure, please contact us.
I have no space for a skip and do not want to pay the council a license fee, can you help?
Handy Skips are more than happy to arrange a “wait and load” service where the driver will wait, whilst the skip is loaded. 20 minutes waiting time is included free of charge.
I don’t have room for the skip on my drive, can I place it on the road?
Normally you can, however, a license from the local council needs to be applied for. The charge levied varies with different councils, and so does the notice the council require. If you need a skip on council property (including the highway) then contact us
and we can advise on the cost and procedure for your council.
What can’t I put in the Skip?
Below is a list of items that cannot be put in a skip:
- Paint Cans
- Clinical/Medical Waste
- Florescent Tubes
- Hazardous/Toxic Material
A quote can be provided for the above items on request.
What size skip will I need?
Be realistic about what needs to be thrown out as very often two small skips will be more expensive than one bigger one! If you are moving why pay for items you don’t use or need to be moved.
What sizes do skips come in for householders?
We supply the following size skips to householders.